Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Characterization in Firelight

Firelight Characters

As I continued through the story of Jacinda, I realised just how much she changed. After reading Firelight, I continued the series to read Vanish, an amazing read. Jacinda's story is continued and she begins to show tremendous change.

In the beginning of Firelight, Jacinda is very accepting of her fate. Although she does break a few rules, she does not fight her fate, though she does complain about it. She is about conformity and being like the other Draki. When Jacinda's mom whisks her away to another place, Jacinda argues. Even though she knows all the things that are wrong with the pride, she wishes to stay. Why? Because this is all she knows and she doesn't want it to leave it for something she doesn't know. This is shown in the quotes...
"I'm the only one that feels connected to the pride. The one who will suffer if we leave," (Jordan 31)
"Suddenly I want to pretend everything is right with our life here. I want to forget about my unease with Severin's dictatorship of the pride. I want to forget Cassian's possessive gaze. Forget my sister's sense of isolation in a community that treats her like a leper and forget the guilt I've always felt about that," (Jordan 32).
This shows how much she is willing to forget, in order to stay where she is and not change a thing.

However as the story goes on, Jacinda changes dramatically. At first, her relationship with her sister is a little strained, as Jacinda always got more of the attention. However, as soon as they move, her and her sister get closer because in the human world, they are both equal. Her and her mom, however, have a more strained relationship due to the fact that Jacinda never really forgives her for making her move from the "Home" she's always known.

As Jacinda continues to meet more people, she continues to change. Suddenly, she's challenging the status quo, and fighting for what she wants. She meets her "special someone" who also happens to be one of her most feared enemies, the hunters. She fights to be with him, yet she also fights herself to stay away. She knows that getting to close to a hunter could prove to be disastrous to Draki everywhere.

Yet, she continues to love him but also fights to keep her Draki identity a secret. This is a tremendous change. She puts herself out there, and takes on the world. She fights not to lose who she is and fights what she is supposed to become. She throws away the idea that her fate is already decided for her and decides her own future. She lives up to who she really is, and fights to become her true self.

All this shows that Jacinda is a dynamic and static charecter. She is effectively described throughout the whole novel and changes a lot too. Thanks for Reading!





 

5 comments:

  1. Hi sounds fabulous like a unicorns bottom

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Sounds like a great book. Maybe
    i'll read it sometime

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really think I'm going to read this it sounds really well- written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow sounds like a good book. Your blog was written really well.

    ReplyDelete