What is theme really? I know we've been learning about it in class, but what makes it so difficult to understand, to identify? Well in reality, I believe the theme is not really what the author chooses, but what the reader chooses to take out of the book. I believe it's the reader's choice to take out a theme from the book, it may or may not be what the author wanted.
So theme is really what you choose to take out of a book. While reading Between the Land and the Sea I didn't really think it would be something I would take something out of. I believed it was something for pleasure, just a fantasy novel that I wouldn't be able to relate to real life. Well was I wrong!
Between the Land and the Sea was a fantastic novel! It is a fantasy book with mythological creatures, mostly around mermaids. A girl feels a connection to the ocean in a town that she never wanted to be in and finds her true self, and true love. Marina, the main character in the novel, is told to go live without her dad for the first time in her life, and to live in a small sea side town with her aunt Abby and cousin Cruz. Although she misses her dad she grows to love her Aunt and Cousin. Little does she know that she will fall in love very soon with someone who, well, she never thought she would fall in love with. However, her happily ever after life is soon taken from her. She learns a dark secret about her family and learns about who she really is. What is so admirable is how she takes it, how she understands it, and how she accepts it.
So the theme in this novel is to be true to yourself. To be true to who you are and not to let anyone affect you, or change the real you.
“It was time to let my freak flag fly.”
― Derrolyn Anderson, Between the Land and the Sea
This shows that she was proud to be who she is. She embraces that she is a "freak" but she doesn't care. Why? Because that is who she is, and because she is proud to be who she is. This is such a good theme for a book. Everyone should accept who they are and be happy about themselves. They should feel proud to be themselves, and I am happy that I got this theme out of the novel.
Click here for another bloggers opinion on the novel! You should read it, I'm sure you would enjoy it :)
So theme is really what you choose to take out of a book. While reading Between the Land and the Sea I didn't really think it would be something I would take something out of. I believed it was something for pleasure, just a fantasy novel that I wouldn't be able to relate to real life. Well was I wrong!Between the Land and the Sea was a fantastic novel! It is a fantasy book with mythological creatures, mostly around mermaids. A girl feels a connection to the ocean in a town that she never wanted to be in and finds her true self, and true love. Marina, the main character in the novel, is told to go live without her dad for the first time in her life, and to live in a small sea side town with her aunt Abby and cousin Cruz. Although she misses her dad she grows to love her Aunt and Cousin. Little does she know that she will fall in love very soon with someone who, well, she never thought she would fall in love with. However, her happily ever after life is soon taken from her. She learns a dark secret about her family and learns about who she really is. What is so admirable is how she takes it, how she understands it, and how she accepts it.
So the theme in this novel is to be true to yourself. To be true to who you are and not to let anyone affect you, or change the real you.
“It was time to let my freak flag fly.”
― Derrolyn Anderson, Between the Land and the Sea
This shows that she was proud to be who she is. She embraces that she is a "freak" but she doesn't care. Why? Because that is who she is, and because she is proud to be who she is. This is such a good theme for a book. Everyone should accept who they are and be happy about themselves. They should feel proud to be themselves, and I am happy that I got this theme out of the novel.
Click here for another bloggers opinion on the novel! You should read it, I'm sure you would enjoy it :)
I like how I can hear your voice in your blog and how you used a quote to support your theme. The book sounds great!
ReplyDeleteYour take on theme is very interesting. I never thought about it that way. I am glad you took an important message from the book. Being true to yourself is an excellent theme! This might be a book that I will have to read.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like an interesting book! And I completely agree with you on the theme now that I have thought of it that way:)
ReplyDeleteWow, I never thought about theme that way before. But I totally agree with you on it now!
ReplyDeleteI like the way you put that theme is what we get out of the book not what the author chooses.
ReplyDelete-Nina